Answers by Spencer Fields and Thomas Jenson, dramaturgs
Here are the answers to the study guide’s trivia questions. How many did you get right?
- False. The show flopped in Detroit, prompting the creative team to make some major changes before they opened to warmer audiences in New York.
- b. Tevye and His Daughters was not a name considered for the Broadway musical; it was one name among others that Sholem Aleichem gave his original collection of short stories.
- c. 50. Only 15 of those 50 songs made it into the show.
- a. 9. The show was nominated for 10 and won 9 Tony Awards.
- b. 3,242. It was the first Broadway show to ever surpass 3,000 performances
- In the Heights. According to Lin-Manuel Miranda, Fiddler informed how he treats the themes of community, tradition, and change in his own show.
- a. Marlon Brando was never considered to play the role of Tevye.
- d. 2018. While there was a Yiddish production as early as 1965, it wasn’t performed in the United States until 2018. Audiences loved the show so much that its run got extended 3 times and then moved Off-Broadway, where its run was extended 4 more times.